Re: [OM] not exactly on topic... help with a strange lens...

Subject: Re: [OM] not exactly on topic... help with a strange lens...
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 14:36:19 -0700
on 6/21/02 7:20 AM, Stephan VAN DEN ZEGEL at svandenzegel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
wrote:

> I just bought on *bay a very strange schneider kreuznach Xenon 50mm f 0,95
> (yes)...
> comes in very nice state, but with a C-mount... It's a big piece of glass
> (900gr and 60mm front glass) with a very smooth focus... and f-stop... but...
> it is not a 16mm lens... more a 35mm movie lens
>
> after dismounting the C-mount (very easy) and playing with it I discovered
> that it covers a broader image... 18x24 or even may be 24x36... but the lens
> mount to film distance seems very short (shorter than the om of course...)...
> so the question is... what is the mount to film distance of a penF ? is it the
> same as a normal 35mm film camera...? are there any option to use Cmount on
> penF... or other...
> The idea would be to adapt a mount to use that "thing" on a penF body...
>
> No need to go on the schneider website... it's an unclassified model... may be
> a special lens...
> Anyway... it was cheap... very cheap... and it would at least make a nice
> paper weight on my desk...
> Stephan VAN DEN ZEGEL

If it is a 35mm *movie* camera lens, it is designed to cover half-frame, as
that is the standard 35mm movie frame size. I don't know why, but I am
remembering the back focus of the Pen F and FT as something like 26mm or
28mm, it is much less than most other (full frame) SLR's and that is why
there was a wide range of adapters for Exakta, Pentax, Nikon, OM, Minolta?,
etc made for the Pens. A 50mm focal length on the Pen would be a slight
telephoto length, about 65mm equivalent on an OM, but the f0.95 would be
nice if it is sharp. The FT viewfinder is pretty dim even with my 40/1.4 so
another full stop would help.
--

Jim Brokaw