Re: [OM] Re: Data Back 4 on OM-2

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Data Back 4 on OM-2
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 00:08:17 -0700
on 6/23/02 4:53 PM, Dave Dougherty at davdou@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I have a NIB Data  Back 4.  In looking at the system chart circa 06/85 I
> note that a Data Back 4 (New Type) will work with an OM-2.  How do I know if
> I have a "New Type"?  I shot some photos with the back on the OM-2 and the
> date did not show up.
>
> I have noted that with the Data Back open, a flash on the hot shoe will not
> fire.  So there is an electrical contact of some sort between the back and
> the camera body. (?)  This implies that the Data back is triggered by the
> shutter just as a flash is.
>
> Now before you folks pile on,  yes I did have it turned on -:).
>
> Dave Dougherty

There's two little gold contacts on the lower right of the camera body that
interface with the data back. If your camera body doesn't have those
contacts you need a data back that can connect to the PC flash outlet (and
set to X-sync I think). The early data backs (DB-1 and DB-2) only came with
a PC cord because up to the OM-1n and OM-2n I don't think the data back
contacts were built into the cameras. I could get out a bunch of bodies and
look but its late and someone here will know definitively. I have a DB-4
that works fine on an OM-2s body, so I'm sure all the OM's as new or newer
than that will have the contacts. I think the OM-10 used a -different- data
back, not sure how that one connected.
--

Jim Brokaw