Re: OT: Spam, was [OM] Common Personality

Subject: Re: OT: Spam, was [OM] Common Personality
From: "Ian Manners" <om@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 23:56:42 +1000 (EST)
Hi Mike, and others who maybe interested.

>Apologies, yes silly of me. I use one hotmail address to receive the olympus
>list and don't use it for anything else. This, of course, does not stop it
>receiving spam (although as I don't use the address for anything else how
>has it get onto anyone's mailing list - hm - interesting).

Hotmail, yahoo etc have "member" directories that list your email
address, these can be harvested by spammers, you will also find
that if you are not publicly listed that you will still received some
spam as the spammers "create" email address's using dictonary
fines, and other programs to add "hit" numbers to the dictonary
words to create an email address. If the email address doesnt
really exist, they dont care as they dont get the error message.

Your email address would be a high hit, as it is composed of
two names.

Spammers are also on the lookout for email hoaxs that accumulate
long lists of forwared email address like the emails that ask you
to add your email address to "this" list, and forward onto 10
of your friends sort of thing. One of these end up going
through you, then onto a spammers list, well, your gone.

The same thing happens with joke emails, all it needs is a
newby to make a publically webaccessable joke archive, without
trimming the extra email address from the headers, and you
have another source of address's for the spammers to harvest.

There are plenty of other methods/ways apart from the above
but I wont continue, probably get to boring :-)

Cheers
Ian Manners