[OM] More on Kodak Mailers

Subject: [OM] More on Kodak Mailers
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 14:22:19 -0500
I posted on a problem with a Kodak mailer to the Qualex plant in Fairlawn, NJ about a month ago. I've had an almost exact repeat of the same situation:

1. Online tracking service says mailer is scheduled to be returned 6/24
2. On or about 6/24 message is changed to "Contact us about your order ... "
3. I send contact inquiry with copy of the message to the email address supplied. 4. Nice lady answers thanking me for patience blah blah blah, asks what type of film and the subjects photographed 5. I receive email saying the product is in production and the staff are looking very hard for it. 6. After a day or two I get a note from nice lady saying order has been processed and mailed to me.

Having gone through this twice now I would have to say that the nice ladies involved in the email part are not robots, but there is a lot of canned language involved. After asking for the name of a manager of the plant, I was given the name of the manager of the online tracking service, which turns out to be located in Charlotte, NC. That prompted me to ask how they work vis a vis the Qualex plant in Fairlawn and I was told they simply gather as much information as they can and then send it to Fairlawn. Because you are never in contact with anyone in Fairlawn you really don't know whether the film is lost at all. I asked if the message in the tracking system asking me to contact the "plant" was triggered by a date rollover. I didn't get a direct answer to that, but I suspect that is what is going on.

So I don't think my film was ever lost at all, Qualex was just SLOW. Kodak mailers appear to be like flying standby. I still like the tracking service, though one has to consider it a very imperfect informational system. At least it is now a little more predictable, which counts for something.

Three more mailers to go and then maybe I'll give A&I a try.

Joel W.