RE: [OM] shades

Subject: RE: [OM] shades
From: Marc Lawrence <mlawrence@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 16:29:43 +1000
> Winsor Crosby [mailto:wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] wrote:
> You then need to redesign the end of the lens barrel so that the
> rectangular shade only goes onto it in the correct position matching
> the rectangular film format. Then things can get real fiddly
> attaching and detaching unless the design is brilliant.

This may be standard practice, but behind the front element
of my (Canon) 20-35 zoom is a rectangular mask purportedly
to assist in flare control. It still has a lens hood for the
the front element - one of those sexy tulip-shaped ones <g> -
which attaches via a bayonet fitting, and the lens is internal
focussing, so no rotation.

Don't some of the Leica lenses have rectangular hoods?

Cheers
Marc
Sydney, Oz