Re: [OM] Metz 45 CT-3 TTL on OM-4

Subject: Re: [OM] Metz 45 CT-3 TTL on OM-4
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 02:51:22 -0500
At 22:51 6/30/02, Jim L'Hommedieu wrote:
John,

If I buy a Metz 45 CT-3, what pieces do I need to do TTL on an OM-4?

Is there a Metz cord to let me do TTL on the OM-PC's fixed shoe?

I really appreciate the info about the 45 that you've put up on your web
space.  Do you have any links to TTL info on the Metz 45 series?

Thanks!

Sorry I don't. I've searched for information about the evolution of the Metz 45 and 60 series flash handles without success. What I know about them has been gleaned from seeing descriptions of new and used units offered for sale.

I don't know much about the 45 CT-3's specific features. I know more about the 45 CT-1/CL-1 and 45 CT-4/CL-4 (and have contemplated buying a used 45 CT-4 myself).

45 CT-1, 45 CL-1 and 60 CT-1:
These do not support the SCA-300 system. They are "Normal Auto" only using an on-board sensor, or "Manual" using guide number and distance to set aperture.

45 CT-4, 45 CL-4 and 60 CT-4:
In addition to "Normal Auto" and "Manual" modes, these support the SCA-300 system for TTL control by a camera body. For the OM "T" series hot shoes (as on your OM-PC) it requires a Metz SCA-321 module (for Olympus OM) that slides into the hot shoe and an SCA-300A cord to connect the module (in the hot shoe) to the flash handle. The SCA-300A coiled cord will stretch out several feet.

45 CT-3:
????
I believe it supports the SCA-300 and was the predecessor to the CT-4, but don't know for certain. Ask the seller if it supports the SCA-300 system or not. If it does, then it hooks up to your OM-PC just as the CT-4 and CL-4 do. If the seller cannot answer this, then ask Metz directly. U.S. distributor for Metz is Bogen Photo:
  mailto:service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
See the note about the SCA-500 system below.

Additional Notes About Metz stuff:

(1) SCA-300, SCA-3000 and SCA-3002:
Everything made for SCA-3002 is backward compatible with SCA-3000 and SCA-300 modules. Similarly, everything made for the SCA-3000 is backward compatible with the SCA-300 modules. Metz made two SCA-300 modules for the OM system that fits the "T" series 3-contact hot shoes: the SCA-320 and its successor, the SCA-321 which is still in production. I don't know what the difference between the SCA-320 and SCA-321 is. The module provides functionality identical to the "T" series flashes, including viewfinder "Flash Ready" and "Exposure OK" blinking. There is *no* SCA-3000 module for the "F" series 5-contact hot shoes on the OM-3ti and OM-4T to support Super-FP mode. The SCA-321 can be used in them, just as one can a T-20, T-32 or T-45 (using a shoe cord).

(2) SCA-300A, SCA-3000A and SCA-3000C cords:
SCA-300A connects an SCA-300 module to an SCA-300 or SCA-3000 flash handle. SCA-3000A connects an SCA-3000 or SCA-3002 module only to an SCA-3000 flash handle (e.g. 70 series or G-16). SCA-3000C allows connecting an SCA-3000/3002 module to an SCA-300 flash handle (with some reduced functionality ??).

(3) SCA-500 system (discontinued):
Metz made an SCA-500 system for a while, and then abandoned it. It's similar to the SCA-300, but the two are incompatible with each other. There were some adapters made to provide some compatibility between them, but I'm not certain what their numbers are or what they adapt. The Olympus OM module for an Metz SCA-500 flash handle is the SCA-521. These are occasionally found used. There is a 500 series cable similar to the SCA-300A that's also required. I *believe* (but am not totally certain) the CT-5 is an SCA-500 series. I also don't know why Metz made this system, or what it provided that the SCA-300 system didn't (if anything).

(4) 45 CT-1 vs. 45 CL-1, and 45 CT-4 vs. CL-4:
According to Metz, the main difference between a "CT" and "CL" 45 series flash is the lamps on the back. A "CT" is a slightly older model that uses small "neon" glow lamps similar to those found on the OM T-series flashes. The "CL" is newer and uses LED's.

(5) Older 45 CT-1 High Voltage Flash Trigger:
According to Metz, 45 CT-1 units with a serial numbers less than 534,000 have a high-voltage trigger circuit. I dont't recommend using any high voltage trigger flash with any OM body. Even those OM bodies with mechanical contacts for flash triggering (e.g. OM-1 and OM-1n) can eventually suffer burnt contacts from the high voltage arcing across them. It can ultimately affect using them with flash units that have very low voltage triggers.

(6) G-15 and G-16 Grips (for use with flashes that are normally shoe mount):
The primary difference between them: G-15 is SCA-300 and can only be used with an SCA-300A or SCA-3000C cord, although an SCA-3000 or 3002 flash can be mounted on it (e.g. 32 MZ-3). The flash also mounts slightly farther forward on it. The G-16 is SCA-300/3000 and can be used with an SCA-300A or SCA-3000A cord. Otherwise they are the same. Both use 4 "C" cells inside the handle, just as a BG-2 does. I have one of each, and they are very much like a BG-2.

(7)  Most Powerful Metz Flash Handles:
The 60 series (CT-1 or CT-4) flash handles remain the most powerful Metz makes with a whopping 60/200 GN (m/ft), even though there is now a newer "70" series. Unlike the "45" series that can use batteries in the handle, they require an external battery "slab" for power. The only rival for "mondo" electronic flash power is the Sunpak 622 Super Pro which has the same GN rating with standard or zoom head. The Sunpak can use a CG-10 battery pack with "C" cells that mounts on the front of the handle, but it doesn't get a huge number of flashes out of it at or near "full dump" (the TR-PakIIa slab is recommended). AFIK these are the *only* electronic flashes that rival the illumination obtained from Press 25 flash bulbs. This much power is needed for those who use GN reducing softboxes and bounce cards (or when using up that stash of Ektar 25 hidden in the freezer <g>) to shoot a wedding reception.

-- John