Re: [OM] Shipping from US to EU - taxes?

Subject: Re: [OM] Shipping from US to EU - taxes?
From: T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 14:59:07 +0200 (CEST)
On Mon, 1 Jul 2002 Jez.Cunningham@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Thomas asked: Is this really typical to see that much taxes?
>
> The worst I even experienced was made up of several components and
> dramatically increased the total.  There was:

<SNIP>

I just called the american embassy. Apparently, the US and the french
are in some kind of tax-war these days. I.e. the US puts some import tax
on french goods in retaliation of the french putting some taxes on US
goods...which then is retaliated etc.

The nice woman I spoke with at the US embassy informed me, that
photographic gear was a "luxury item" and that such could be subject to up
to 100% tax (or more) when being imported, depending on the mood of the
customs officer. So I should probably just be happy that I had to pay
"only" 50%....

Sighs.....not being French, I feel taken hostage in a war I am not part
of.

  Thomas Heide Clausen
  Civilingeniør i Datateknik (cand.polyt)
  M.Sc in Computer Engineering