RE: [OM] shades

Subject: RE: [OM] shades
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 11:08:20 -0700
 > Winsor Crosby [mailto:wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] wrote:
 You then need to redesign the end of the lens barrel so that the
 rectangular shade only goes onto it in the correct position matching
 the rectangular film format. Then things can get real fiddly
 attaching and detaching unless the design is brilliant.

This may be standard practice, but behind the front element
of my (Canon) 20-35 zoom is a rectangular mask purportedly
to assist in flare control. It still has a lens hood for the
the front element - one of those sexy tulip-shaped ones <g> -
which attaches via a bayonet fitting, and the lens is internal
focussing, so no rotation.

Don't some of the Leica lenses have rectangular hoods?

Cheers
Marc
Sydney, Oz

I don't know, but they do have an outside groove around the end of
all the lenses that allow a bayonet lens hood with no line up and
twisting.  No Mickey Mouse slip on and clamp for this lens and screw
on for that lens.  Sorry.  Much as I like my Oly there are some
little areas that do not seem to be well thought out.

It occurred to me that one could experiment with flare control by
masking a lens hood with black tape to make the opening rectangular.
It probably would only work with one of the slip on hoods. But
orientation would have to be checked carefully.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California

?