[OM] Shipman book

Subject: [OM] Shipman book
From: "Robert Gries" <rgg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 14:21:34 -0500
I recently took the older Shipman book out from the library to see what
all the fuss was about.  It is indeed a comprehensive guide and reads
very well.  I was also quite pleased to see that he was recommending the
35 shift as the choice "standard" lens.  He also has much to say for the
21/3.5 and 85/2 - all 3 of which are indispensable in my basic kit!

I look forward to seeing the newer version and reading more about the
Olympus system.  Are there any other favorite reading materials for the
development of the OM system?

It is curious that occasionally I will enter a camera store looking for
used OM equipment only to come across a grouchy clerk who asks why I
would want such outdated equipment?  I'm not sure what he/she sees in
the plasticy C*non crap that they are promoting, but OM has always met
or exceeded any of my requirements.  As I came into the game fairly late
(only started photography in 1997) I never saw Olympus at their best.
Is there any good explanation for popular resistance to OM?