Re: [OM] Shipman book

Subject: Re: [OM] Shipman book
From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 15:45:28 EDT
1.- The grouchy store clerk has probably never seen or spoken to an Olympus
rep, and has gotten lousy "support" from Olympus in recent years.
2.- He may also get a kickback from Nikon or Canon to push their plastic
wonders.
3.- He knows Olympus is a dead end with regard to their 35mm film cameras and
lenses, and maybe, in good conscience, he can't steer a customer to Olympus.
If it was me, I wouldn't try to get new customers to go with Olympus, how
could I support that customer's needs in the future? What would I do, tell
him to try eBay when he needs a shift lens or a bellows or something?

George S.

 rgg@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

It is curious that occasionally I will enter a camera store looking for
used OM equipment only to come across a grouchy clerk who asks why I
would want such outdated equipment?  I'm not sure what he/she sees in
the plasticy C*non crap that they are promoting, but OM has always met
or exceeded any of my requirements.  As I came into the game fairly late
(only started photography in 1997) I never saw Olympus at their best.
Is there any good explanation for popular resistance to OM?