Re: [OM] Decent sites for OM equipment?

Subject: Re: [OM] Decent sites for OM equipment?
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2002 17:48:12 +0800

T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Jul 2002, C.H.Ling wrote:
>
> <SNIP>
>
> > common problem of element separation on a rear lens group. The 65-200
> > has a common problem of an inside element (also rear group) getting
> > oil vapor on the surface, when long enough without attention, the
> > element will permanent damage. I found two 35-70/3.6 and two 65-200
> > has these problem and hard the same problem from my friends too.
> >

> <SNIP>
>
> Ahh, that was the problem I was recalling with the 65-200. Anyone knows if
> it is easilly fixable?
>
> Also, just to expose my ignorance, why does exposure to oil vapor damage
> the lens elements (is it the glass or the coating?)

My first 65-200 is cleanable, I had clean it myself ... totally three
times in a year, the oil get back in a few months. I have fully
disassembly the metal tube which holding the lens elements, drop them
into soap water and clean them but it doesn't help. It was very
interesting, only one surface of an element inside the tube has this
problem, the other elements were clean (IIRC there is four element
inside the tube).

For the last sample from ebay, the element was not cleanable (same
element), could be coating damage (and very serious which looks like a
thick cloud), I don't know exactly how it happen just expect it was
caused by the oil.

C.H.Ling