Subject: RE: [OM] Craft vs. Art

Subject: Subject: RE: [OM] Craft vs. Art
From: bsandyman@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2002 13:42:47 +0000
The reason we do not appreciate the technical skills of
poets is because we don't know what they are. (IMHO)

Edgar Allen Poe's 'The Raven' is a prime example of
techniques used to drive home the message of the poem.
There is strong use of aliteration and meter there.

Just to throw my two cents in I think that craft is the
science of what artists do. There is a distinct way in
which to paint. There is a distinct way in which to mix
paints. There is a distinct way to take a 15 0ray
exposure every time.

This part of what artists do can be replicated by a
computer, because it is well understood. In order to get
X you do Y. (Hence Wonder Bricks.)

Art is the implementation of these XY relationships to
produce some effect.

This is why it is so important to visualize your desired
result. If you know what you want, then the rest is
matter of how well you know your craft.