RE: [OM] Which NiMH batteries to choose?

Subject: RE: [OM] Which NiMH batteries to choose?
From: "Olaf Greve" <o.greve@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 16:34:14 +0200
Hi Frank,

Thanks for the info!

> >-I seem to recall that for a flash there is little practical difference
> >between using 1300 vs. 1800 mAH batteries, but I'm not positive
> about this.
> Why not? They will give you 50% more energy...
> A thing to consider is whether your flash uses a high current. These
> can be delivered better by NiCad cells than NiMH cells, although NiMH's
get better all
> the time

I've always found the 1300 mAH batteries to work very well in the T32 and
the F280, which is what I want to use it in.

> >Is this indeed the case, or is it useful to do use the 1800 kind?
> >-Given the price differences, which would you recommend?
> I would take the highest capacity you can get. In Germany (eBay) you
> will find 1900mAh cells at competetive prices. The Ansmann Powerline 4
> is a very good charger which is for sale there as well.

Thanks. Unfortunately, time is a limiting factor here, as I need to have
them by tomorrow evening, so I'd rather just go down-town and buy something.

> And talking chargers: the Olympus BU-chargers (BU-100, 200, 300) are
> rapid chargers which recharge 1400-1800 mAh cells in 3-4 hours, and
> then switch to trickle charge automatically.... I may have one
> redundant for you (? 29 charger only). They are known as about the
> best you can find....

Thanks again, for the above mentioned reason I do intend to buy something
today after work though. BTW: there are two more interesting deals, the GP
rapid loader and the GP smart loader. The latter one is a bit out of reach
at 79.95 Euro (= almost the same amount in dollars, USD), but the other one
is not bad at all at 59.95 Euro. Both loaders come with 4 1800 mAH
batteries.

Alright, I'll have a look-see this night, and then I'll make up my mind. At
present I'm biased towards the rapid version.

Cheers!
Olafo