[OM] color balance

Subject: [OM] color balance
From: "Bill Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 11:59:50 -0500
Dave Dougherty wrote:

> My question for you techno types - does a digital camera such as an E-20
> record the colors in a day lite scene more accurately than a film camera
> without a filter?

In fact, it can. If you white balance, you are adjusting the camera for the
actual color temperature of the that light, while film is made for an
arbitrary figure. That's the whole point of color temperature meters.

The fact that almost no one feels that the correction achieved isn't worth
the expense and trouble tell us that our eyes and brains will get us close
enough for most uses. It't only when the temperature is off hundreds of
degrees kelvin that the filter is necessary in most instances.

Bill Pearce