Re: [OM] Decent sites for OM equipment?

Subject: Re: [OM] Decent sites for OM equipment?
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas" <cjss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 23:50:01 +0200
> > OM4Ti
>
> IMO, the only gain you'll get over your OM2n is spot-metering. Can be
> a fine thing, but just don't underestimate your OM2n. It's a beautiful
> camera :)

My first OM, back in 1994, was an OM-4. This year I got my first OM-2n, and
quickly became my favourite body -- I've got two of them now. After
handling the OM-2n, the OM-4 looks rather noisy, with a stiff wind lever.
However, it's a _very_ nice camera, especially the spot meter.

>> > Zuiko 35-70mm F3.6
>
>Are there any of the other zooms in the aprox. 35-70mm range that people
>would recommend over this one?

I'm somewhat biased against zooms, but I've got the Zuiko 35-70/3.5-4.5,
and I like it a lot. First, sharpness is excellent, and contrast is
_impressive_ -- better than my 50/1.8 at the same f/stop!. Second, it's
very small and lightweight. Third, when not wide open, it behaves like a
constant (f/4.5) aperture zoom -- it was especially designed for the spot
metering of the OM-3/4.

On the other hand, it's the slowest of the _true_ Zuiko zooms in this
range, but only 2/3 of a stop from the f/3.6, and only 1/3 from the f/4.
Viewfinder is a bit dim, but with an OM-4 it's easy to put a 2-x or Beattie
screen, so it isn't an issue.

BTW, the OM-4 viewfinder is noticeably dimmer than that of the OM-2, so one
of the those screens should be a nice thing.

I have no experience with the 65-200/4, but I have both the 200/4 (nice
pictures and well balanced) and the 135/3.5 (very sharp and tiny), and I'm
very happy with them. I also have the Tamron SP 70-210/3.5, which is very
sharp, but _really_ heavy, so I don't use it very much.

Hope this helps,

Carlos Santisteban

<cjss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
<cjsantis@xxxxxxxx>