Re: [OM] Zuiko 35 - 70mm f3.6

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 35 - 70mm f3.6
From: "Tim Chakravorty" <suchismit@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 20:03:18 -0700
>From my experience the 35-70/3.6 rivals the 35-80 only near middle apertures
>(f/8 or f/11) whereas the 35-80 excells at almost all.
Also from my latest roll I have been a little disappointed with its flare
characteristics. This lens is quite prone to flaring, even
a bright overcast sky occupying a little less than half the frame will cause
significant loss of contrast. One of
my shots included a pale setting sun, and there was pronounced ghosting too (
Could it be my particular lens ?)

I have looked at the front element coating and it doesn't appear to be too
strong either..there is only a mild hint of green/purple
when compared to its bigger cousin. I am not saying that the 35-70 is not a
great lens, but care needs to be taken to get the most
out of it. Mount it on a firm 'pod, use  a hood, aim it away from bright
sources and stay in the neighborhood of f/8...and you will
end up with some pretty impressive slides.

-Tim