Re: [OM] OM-1 film advance

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-1 film advance
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2002 21:32:28 -0500
At 19:24 7/2/02, you wrote:
I recently received a broken OM-1 for free in an Ebay auction as part of a
kit.  The problem is that the wind lever does not engage and the shutter
cannot be cocked.  The shutter button is also dead.  Is there any way I can
repair this myself?
I know that I can send it to Camtech, but I don't want to spend on repairs
what I can buy a working one from Ebay with.  I was just wondering if I could
make a backup body of this camera, as I already have an OM-2.
-Kyle Jeffery (New to the list)

Kyle,

IMHO:

Recommendations:
If you've got experience with *mechanical* watch repair, you could probably work on it. Otherwise, leave it to someone experienced with this kind of work. One of your primary problems will be finding parts if you need some. I also strongly recommend you tear down and reassemble some non-repairable junker carcasses to get some experience. There are many hidden pitfalls and traps with disassembling and reassembling camera bodies . . . some of which require *knowing* the tricks and techniques about how to do it that are not (well) documented. A camera body is a precision instrument. Take a good look at everything that must be disassembled to get the top cap off; it's not a simple job and at least to me, how to get some of it apart is not very intuitive.

A couple of things you get from John at Camtech are a warranty for a limited time and not just a repair, but an "overhaul" that includes work in addition to what's needed purely for repair. It should continue working for some time. John H. has overhauled two bodies for me. He does excellent work. I wish the turnaround was faster, but he's a busy guy, and the excellent small repair operations are like that because their services are in high demand. :-)

Other respected shops that work on OM bodies in addition to John H. (Camtech in New York [state]):
  Clint (Photosphere in Texas; also a list member)
  Ken Strauss (K&S Camera Repair in California)

-- John