RE: [OM] portrait of a (dead) dragonfly !

Subject: RE: [OM] portrait of a (dead) dragonfly !
From: "Buddy Walters" <BWalters@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 00:31:38 -0700
Hi Tim,
That will be one cool photo when you get it right - and you will.
Here's just a couple of points to try.
1. The DOF is minimal at best as you know.  So make it work for you.
Pull his legs out of the way and refocus on the body / head.  I've used
play dough under a leaf to hold straight pins.  Remember that DOF is
1/3rd in front (toward the camera) and 2/3rds in back of sharp focus.
Sometimes experiment and focus a little deeper so you get as much body
as possible in the DOF.  If you look, you will see you focused on the
legs area.  So you wasted a lot of you DOF.
2.  Use a Varimagni finder on 2x if you have one.  This will help with
finding and placing sharp focus.
3.  Use 2 flashes, it does not matter T20, T32 or T28, put them very
close.  3 or 4 inches is great, the closer the flash the softer the
light.
4.  You are at very high mag here so you may want to back down a little
to get more bug in, although, I know the temptation is to go as high a
mag as possible.  Wait till you try and shoot with a 20mm at 12X.
Have fun and don't give up.
Hope this helped a little,
Buddy Walters