Re: [OM] Of Tamrons and Zuikos

Subject: Re: [OM] Of Tamrons and Zuikos
From: Walt Wayman <hiwayman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2002 12:38:57 -0400
Yesterday, I got back the test shots, on Provia 100F, made with the Tamron
300/2.8 I "won" a couple of weeks ago on the Bay. I took a good look at
them this morning with both 10X and 20X loupes on the light box.

When trying to decide how much to bid for this lens, I did a bit of
research, and, among other bits of information, came across a comparison of
the Tamron 300/2.8 with similar lenses, including N*k*ns, on one of the
N*k*n sites.  This is a quote from there:

"Tamron 300/2.8: Wow.... Images produced from this lens were easily
differentiated from the others in this group. This lens contains two
Low-Dispersion glass elements, which I credit for a tonality and level of
detail that is very impressive."

I couldn't agree more.  Double wow!

But I'm keeping my 300/4.5 Zuiko, because it's less than half the size and
weight of the Tamron, so I don't think it'll go completely unused,
certainly not when stuff has to be toted a long way.

The shots with the 1.4X-A and 2X-A Olympus converters were absolutely,
unbelievably sharp.  But I'm also keeping my 400/6.3 Zuiko: its weight,
size and totability, which make it ideal for use on a shoulder pod, mean it
won't stay in the case forever.

But I may be saying good-bye to the god-awful bokeh of the 500/8.  Or not.
After all, it really is small and light, and in some circumstances, like
shooting a bird against the sky, there actually are no annoying donut
highlights.  And it is fairly sharp.  And it's a Zuiko.

But when size and weight aren't an issue, at focal lengths of 300, 420 and
600mm, the Tamron will be the weapon of choice, and not just because it's a
stop faster all along the way, either.  And it sits so nicely, not to
mention impressively, atop the Manfrotto 3221 tripod with 405 geared head
(which I HIGHLY recommend for anybody using long lenses and/or doing macro
work).

This is my third Tamron, it having been preceded by the 28-105/2.8 and
17/3.5, and I like 'em all.  In addition to chronic Zuikoholism, could I be
suffering from Tamronitis?  Is this officially recognized?  Should I give
the CDC a call?

Maybe I'll just go lie down.

Walt