[OM] film, manufacturers

Subject: [OM] film, manufacturers
From: "Bill Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2002 15:30:46 -0500
"As B&H says on their site, Agfa,
Fuji, and Ilford film are *all* made outside of the US"
That statement is of itself true, but incomplete. Kodak and Fuji both have
plants worldwide. As far as I know, Agfa film is all produced in Germany,
although they may wish not. Therefore, you may buy Kodak or Fuji that is
manufactured in the USA, or numerous other countries. B&H purchases both
film manufactured for sale in the US and film manufactured for sale
elsewhere. The film manufactured for sale elsewhere is therefore grey
market. Occasionally, grey market Kodak was made in the US, shipped
overseas, and sold back to dealers in the US, where it was sold cheaper than
"USA" film. I find this all confusing, and probably the result of stupid
corporate thinking, much like our drug industry, that places US list prices
higher.
Last month, I purchased Fuji film in both Lisbon and Barcelona that was
manufactured in the Netherlands. Couldn't tell a difference.

Bill Pearce