Re: [OM] Receiving payments from Japan

Subject: Re: [OM] Receiving payments from Japan
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 07 Jul 2002 00:50:13 -0500
At 18:30 7/6/02, you wrote:
That one is easy :)

Japan Post Office Money order in US$.  You can cash it at your post office
or at your bank.

Tom

Absolutely. I've done this also. It's the Japan equivalent of a USPS International Money Order, and it's in US Dollars. Japan has a limit on how much a single one can be written for. The item I sold exceeded this so the buyer split the price in half and sent two. Japanese camera collectors who have bought items from the U.S. are quite familiar with them.

Had to deposit them "for collection" (the bank's jargon for it) as they're similar but not identical to a check. They don't travel the normal "clearing house" path through the U.S. bank system as a check from a U.S. bank does. Took several days to clear. My small city mid-west bank also doesn't routinely see these things. The teller had to show them to the manager who told her what they were and how to handle them. :-)

-- John