Re: [OM] - OM4Ti Black vs. Champagne

Subject: Re: [OM] - OM4Ti Black vs. Champagne
From: flowerside@xxxxxxxxxxxx ()
Date: 8 Jul 2002 14:40:09 -0000
>Hi Fabio - and welcome. Very good to have you among us.

Hi, Thomas!

>Sorry, you are neither an Olympus-addict nor a zuikoholic. This may
>clinically be proven by the phrase "wondering whether" and "change my
>OM2SP".

Wow! Lucky me! I thought I was doomed!!!

>A true zuikoholic would not be "wondering whether to change my OM2SP". He
>wold be sure....sure, that is, that he needs both an OM2SP and another  OM
>body...and another...and another....and another....:)

I'm on my way to be like that! I was thinking to get rid of the OM2SP to buy a
OM1 (together with the OM4Ti), but maybe I'll keep that one too! ;^)

>However you are welcome on the list - we will do our best to "convert" you
>into a true zuikoholic...:) You show a promising start, I'd say :)

OK. I'm ready!

>No, seriously now...

>IMO, that is too expensive. I live in Paris, France, where I just recently
>saw an OM4Ti, also champagne, for about the same price. However this was
>mint, with boxes and two lenses (forgot which - probably it was 50/1.4 and
>a 35/2.8 or something) and 6 months warranty.

Ehm... Don't you know if that shop sells that 4T online? That sounds
interesting...

>I am not aware of the normal prices of the OM4Ti's, however compared to
>the camera I saw, the price you quote is "in the high end".

Not that high, it seems (see my other msg: I saw asking 1000 Euros for a minty
black OM4T)

>However that, of course, also depends largely on your local market. Probably
>someone
>else more knowledgeable can chip in on this?

Let's wait and see...

>I am glad you ask this. Lee Hawkins has written a wonderful faq on (among
>other things) this topic. You should be able to find it here:
>
>http://brashear.phys.appstate.edu/lhawkins/photo/olympus.faq.html
>
>There is a question going exactly "What should I look for in buying a used
>body?"

Checked. Thanks!

>However personally, I look for (other than the usual sign of physical
>abuse and defects) the right to borrow the camera for a few hours to shoot
>and develop one slide film ...
>
>[...]

I'll try. There should be no problem, but I don't know if I'm confident enough
to spot small exposure errors (caused by a faulty metering system)...

>Sometimes the shop asks a reasonable security deposit before taking off
>for making the test shots. That's only fair. I'd never buy a used camera
>body from a shop that would not permit that I test it on one film first.
>(same goes for private sellers - except for those listees I know and
>trust).

As I already told, this shop as a very good reputation. Anyhow, if the owner
won't let me take a roll of slides with the OM4Ti, I should think about buying
that...

And now a technical question: I've noticed that the film advance lever in the
OM1 is very smooth and a pleasure to pull. The same thing should not be said of
the OM2-SP I have (it just pushes fine until it seems to have a block at a
given point, just before the end of the race, then after that first block, it
keeps pushing fine) and neither for the OM4Ti I'm about to buy. Is it normal,
or should I be aware of something?

>I think that the difference between the black and the champagne models are
>just the color. Personally, I think that both are cool...you should really
>get one of each :)

That will DEFINITELY turn me into a zuikoholic, innit? ;^)

>Any time. I look forward to seeing many future postings from you. Please
>keep us updated on you "quest for the next body".

"quest for the next body"... I like that... It has a mystic sound... ;^)

Bye!

Fabio

Salve, il messaggio che hai ricevuto
è stato inviato per mezzo del sistema