Re: [OM] New to list - and light travel kit

Subject: Re: [OM] New to list - and light travel kit
From: T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 20:12:08 +0200 (CEST)
On Mon, 8 Jul 2002, John Peterson wrote:

> Hi, I'm new to this list,

Welcome, John - good to have you with us :)

> I have searched the archives
> (those that are indexed that is) but I still got some
> questions regarding some Zuikos.

Yeah...it falls upon me to get the archives running again. I am sorry,
work has gotten the better of me lately. Sorry...

> I used to own a Canon SLR with three zoom-lenses, but
> now I use a Canon G2 (digital) and sold all my
> SLR-equipment.

Herecy! :)

> A few weeks ago I inherited an OM-4T with a 50mm 1,8
> and a 28mm 2,8. This seems like a really nice
> camerasystem and I now want to put together a small
> travel kit.

Ahh....that's better :)

> I think I will sell the 28mm and buy a 24mm 2,8, and a
> 100mm 2,8. I've seen good prices on the 100mm, but the
> 24mm seems quite expensive.

I have myself chosen the 24/2 for my 55mm filter thread kit and the 28/2.8
for my 49mm filter thread kit. I found that the price difference between
the 28/2.8 and the 24/2.8 was about 100 EUR, and that the 28/2.8 by large
satisfied my needs for "light". If your 28/2.8 is in a good shape, then I
would stick with it if I was you...

> And finally to the question :-)
> The 135mm 2,8 looks good too, but how is it compared
> to the 100 2,8? (Photos with out-of-focus backgrounds
> would be nice)
>
> Filter-dimension are semi-important because I use a
> lot of filters and I would like all my lenses to
> accept 49mm filters.

That kinda excludes the 135/2.8 since that takes 55mm filters, whereas the
100/2.8 has a 49mm thread. A great lens, though, is the 135/2.8. It is
growing to be one of my favourites.

That said, I also love the 100/2.8 - the fact that I have (and use) two of
this lens should tell that I appreciate it.

Interrestingly enough, I do not have any good slides scanned to compare
those two...hmm...should do that sometimes.

Anyways, welcome. Dare I point you at this URL for invalueable information
on Zuikos:

        http://members.aol.com/olympusom/lenstests/default.htm

  Thomas Heide Clausen
  Civilingeniør i Datateknik (cand.polyt)