Re: [OM] light travel kit usage

Subject: Re: [OM] light travel kit usage
From: "Lee Penzias" <l_penzias@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 00:39:14 -0500
I made do with a Rollei rangefinder with a 40mm for much of 15 years. The one SLR I owned during a short few years during that time had two zooms covering about everything from standard/macro out to about 300mm, and a borrowed camera kit a standard 50mm plus a 70-210 (or there abouts)zoom. Except for the latter which I used shooting during some motorcycle roadraces one year, I rarely used the zooms in the longer focal settings.

Travelling extensively while in europe over many years I found the 40mm rangefinder very good for much shooting (and how I regret selling that little Rollei 35!).

I would agree with Mr Crosby on this; I have a 35/f2 and 50/1.8 - and the next will be an 85. In the meantime I have a 70-210, and a 2x teleconverter to play with. So my walking kit right now would likely be the 35 - and/or the 50 - plus the 70-210 - and a close-up lens kit, filters etc. I would also have a good lightweight tabletop tripod along. These are very useful at times for lowlight shots. I had bought the teleconverter with just this walking kit in mind, but have just about consigned it already to trade item status. When on wheels of course more stuff in a bigger case(s) - as needed.

(One of these days I am going to get another Rollei 35 too! It is so small, handy - and that 40mm Tessar lens so sharp - it is an ideal "pocket kit" or spare camera.)

Cheers,
Lee