Re: [OM] light travel kit usage (now small travel cameras)

Subject: Re: [OM] light travel kit usage (now small travel cameras)
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 09:34:19 +0800
Winsor Crosby wrote:

> >This is taken with Fuji HG400, probably at F2.8 or F4 (134KB).
> >
> >http://www.accura.com.hk/XA-04.jpg
>
> What a beautifully crafted shot. Beautiful young woman too.

Thanks Winsor, she is my wife, but shot at 10 years ago :-)

> >This is taken with Kodak Gold 100-2, probably at F5.6, different resolution
> >is available. This is a hand held shoot, may be didn't get all out of the
> >XA's 6 elements Zuiko.
> >
> >(1500dpi 603KB)
> >http://www.accura.com.hk/1500L.jpg
> >
> >(2500dpi 1.65MB)
> >http://www.accura.com.hk/2500L.jpg
> >
> >(4000dpi 4.73MB)
> >http://www.accura.com.hk/4000L.jpg
>
> Is the bright blue line along the edge of the building silhouetted
> against the sky an artifact of the scanner? CCD bloom? Or is it the
> lens of the XA? Amazingly detailed shot though.

I think these are chromatic aberration of the camera lens, problem
will be seen on strong light different area. I have checked many XA
shots and this is the worse one, some are lighter and 950f my other
XA shots have no noticeable problem.

> I think these subdued light exposures work well with a leaf shutter.
> In bright situations and faster film when the exposures are short is
> when you start seeing the darkened corners.  It is because of the
> limitations of moving the leaves quickly enough and exposing the
> frame evenly.  The T3 solved that with two sets of leaves, one to
> uncover the film and one set to cover, sort of like splitting the
> functions to two curtains on a focal plane shutter.  I do have to say
> I would rather deal with a rangefinder than AF.

I think the dark corners is not related to leave shutter, the 35SP,
35RD and my Bronica SAQ didn't have this problem. For me, I will never
trust AF (without viewfinder verification, no! not the AF ok led, I
need a focusing screen verification).

C.H.Ling