Re: [OM] "poor-quality" plastic cameras

Subject: Re: [OM] "poor-quality" plastic cameras
From: "Lee Penzias" <l_penzias@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 00:11:45 -0500
I will repeat what I mentioned in my original post:

I dropped my R'35 some *twenty feet* onto a rooftop. This was, for anyone familiar with the town, a little wooden walkway that runs along a cliff face towards the back of the town of Berchtesgaden in southern Germany.

I was carrying it in a motorcycle helmet when it .... Rolle'd out - hit the walkway floor and went over the edge. I then watched it strike the roof of a house below (about 20 feet), it bounced several times, and then fell another considerable drop of several feet onto the flat roof of a garage or porch.

Recovering it was quite interesting (the elderly lady that answered the door had obviously been enjoying her afternoon ration of Salzberger Pils or something). But recover it I did, and was amazed to find it in one piece, a dent on the top case plate corner. I was also amazed to find that it worked. And work it did.. for another *ten years plus*.

Not suggesting a well-made plastic P&S might not have done the same.. but I doubt that many would. SOME plastics are very tough indeed. This was covered quite thoroughly in a previous discussion on the subject. But plastics very greatly in their charactaristics. Some will shatter like glass, and everything in between. Without testing one, there is no way to say what any particular plastic P&S can take.

Lee