RE: [OM] (OM) (OT) Rollei 35

Subject: RE: [OM] (OM) (OT) Rollei 35
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 00:37:15 -0500
At 21:02 7/10/02, you wrote:
The Rollei 35 is certainly no rangefinder camera.  It's a scale focusing,
viewfinder camera, and nothing more.  It has a great lens and can take
great pictures, but otherwise it's pretty weird.

Skip

Skip,

I wouldn't go so far as "weird."

The oddity of note is its hot shoe location. There wasn't much other location for it. Put it into context. The camera was designed during the early 1960's and was first introduced at the 1966 Photokina, 36 years ago. Although electronic flash units were around, they were relatively crude (l_o_n_g recycle times), and flash bulbs were still the norm! Rollei made a small flash bracket for the camera, but very few were sold (I have one). At least it *has* a hot shoe (something the XA and Contax T don't have). It's also completely mechanical except for the meter and will continue to function in sub-zero-F temperatures when others die from lack of power (just as the OM-1[n] can).

The designs for the 35[T], 35S-Xenar and 35S are all very nearly the same (only difference is the lenses) and they were the variants manufactured in the largest numbers. Production of the 35[T] ran 14 years essentially unchanged from the original, until 1980 when the T and S were replaced by the TE and SE with significant metering redesign and they were made until 1982 (Rollei's bankruptcy ??).

I can accept "odd" if you want to call it that. They defined a class of their own that didn't exist in the mid 1960's. The Rollei 35 and its variants were the world's smallest full-frame 35mm format for many years, and only a very few P&S's have challenged that since. I still marvel at how Rollei managed to package an entire mechanical camera into its very small envelope.

Want weird?  The LOMO is weird!

-- John