Re: [OM] Digital Plastic (going *way* OT now...)

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital Plastic (going *way* OT now...)
From: Mike Veglia <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 10:21:36 -0700
In a message dated 7/11/2002 Lee Penzias writes:

<< The latter I have now reduced to all pre-1979s. They have carbs, coils,
alternators, batteries, voltage regulators etc - and when they do have
problems - are very cheap to get running again. >>

Uh, new cars have coils, batteries, and voltage regulators too--this has
nothing to do with fuel management.

<< Often I can actaully do it myself. >>

So do I. In fact, I find it much easier to fix the occasional CIS or
Motronic hiccup than I ever did dealing with carbs, *especially* those smog
kludged carbs of the dreaded 1970s--the worst years of cars from any
automaker come from then--gag.

Add to that all the aging and decaying wiring, relays, etc. you need to keep
up with--not going there, sorry.

<< It's towing bills, "diagnostic" charges, the price of little "black
boxes", miscellaneous fittings, and the "labor" charges to supply & fit
them, that I avoid. For what many spend to get the "EFI" fuel systems fixed
I can get a good salvaged transmission fitted - or rebuilt motor. >>

Accuracy of the air-fuel mixture combined with accurate spark and good knock
sensing (e.g. proper modern engine management) is exactly why modern car
engines last for up to 3-4 times longer than those from the era you seem
attached to. Don't get me wrong, I love classic cars (make mine a Carrera
RSK Spyder or Ferrari Dino) but modern fuel and ignition management systems
do nothing but make cars vastly more reliable, easier to diagnose (with
proper tools and training), and most important of all, much better for the
environment *and* more fun to drive all at the same time. From a driver's
perspective I would much rather drive something like newer 911SC or Carrera
vs an old carburated 911 (which I have owned and still miss very much).

There really is nothing wrong with accepting technological advances,
especially in things automotive. Let's see...Audi R8 or Winston Cup stock
car...hmm. The former (with modern fuel and ignition management systems)can
go in excess of 10,000 KM running at insane speeds between teardowns, and do
so efficiently, the later (with "carbs and coils") can barely last 1,000 km,
makes vastly less hp/liter, and is totally inefficient by modern standards).

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com