Re: [OM] Demise of Film

Subject: Re: [OM] Demise of Film
From: "Lee Penzias" <l_penzias@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 03:44:28 -0500
Me smells a rat - those filmed-in-Technicolor movies I saw *decades ago* (and more recntly) were clearer all round compared to newer stuff produced even now. Digital film might be clearer - as now supplied - but I do not buy into the notion that there has been no progress in making better, *tougher*, film to make movies with "except digital" in the last 40 years. More likely is that things are being steered a certain direction for other reasons.

Going back to the thread concerning archiving slides etc as opposed to digital storage it seems we are simply be led down a marketing pathway carved out in advance - with the others set to be *closed*. Much like the car manufacturers simply stopped making real private utility trucks (with some exceptons) and instead now make stationwagons with 4-wheel drive and extra ground clearance - and all those throwaway electronics and limited useable life.

I find this rather alarming. If the major film producers reduce their conventional film production to *zero* - the labs and the rest will die shortly thereafter too. Processing and printing is one thing - making film itself on a "hobby" basis or even very limited production sounds like a nonstarter.

Lee