AW: [OM] Versions of 50/1.8 and 50/1.4

Subject: AW: [OM] Versions of 50/1.8 and 50/1.4
From: jochen.schiffler@xxxxxxxxxxx (Jochen Schiffler)
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2002 16:44:51 +0200
Carlos,

I'm quite new to the list so I don't mind talking about this 'old' topic.
The list veterans might think different about this ;-)

I myself own two 50/1.4 with 1.1xx.xxx S/N and three different versions of
the 50/1.8:

- F.Zuiko       #109xxxx        S/N on front ring
- Zukio MC      #307xxxx        'Japan'
- Zuiko #365xxxx        'made in Japan'

Some of the lenses are very recent acquisitions so for lack of experience I
add this posting that I found in the archives a while ago. I call it 'The 50
mm secret' because it's very detailed.

Jochen

Here's the post:
---------------------------
---------------------------
John Hudson wrote:

> What are the differences between an MC 50 / 1.8 "plastic, made in Japan"
> Zuiko and an MC 50 / 1.8 Zuiko? I have an MC 50 / 1.8 which says "made in
> Japan" round the inside of the front of the lens and has "Japan" along
with
> the serial number engraved into a ring at the base of the lens next to
the
> bayonet mount ring. Do I have the "plastic" lens?

> jh

This is an old matter.

I know there are a lot of people on the List that become ill when read one
message here talking about the 50 mms lenses. I like (love) theese lenses.

-  The two first Zuiko 50 mm  f 1.8 for the OM System were the F.Zuiko
(Chrome and Black versions) As we know, both lenses are single coated.
And with the serial number on the front ring.

-  The next 50mm f 1.8 were the lens engraved "MC"  on the front of the
lens.This is the first 50mm 1.8 multi coated.

-  The third lens (the last one on my information), is the very common 50
mm f 1.8 engraved  "made in Japan" on the front ring of the lens. This is a
lens multi coated too. But this lens have the ring of the F numbers on
plastic, not metal, and is a lens most cheap on construction.

For me there are differences concerning the resolution, flare, etc, etc. I
think that the best is the engraved "MC" = the multi coated or the first
times.

The same thing happends on the 50 1.4 chapter:

1o.-   50 1.4 G.Zuiko (Single coated) on chrome and black versions.
2o.-   50 1.4 engraved  "MC", only black version. The first multi coated.
3o.-   50 1.4 engraved  "Japan" black version only and multi coated too.
This is the last one that we all can see on the big part of brochures.

On this chapter too (1.4) I think that the best one is the first multi
coated engraved "MC".

On this moment Gary Reese have tested the two lasts 50 1.8 :
1st .- The engraved "made in Japan".
2nd.-  (The last-recent test)  The engraved  "MC"

On the chapter of 50 1.4 Gary Reese have tested the 1.4 engraved "MC" only.

 When I say that for me the bests 1.8 and 1.4 are the engraved "MC" I tell
it according to my "real time, real light " tests, not counting l/mm etc.
On my personal tests I can see resolution, contrast, colour rendition,
flare, etc and I shoot with speeds from 1/30 to 1/2000 (the most usuals and
"naturals"). I can not repeat tests if not on the same day (5 or 10 minutes
,and on a day without clouds). But this is no a problem, when I need test
the 50 1.8 "MC" vs the 35-70 f3.6 on 50 mm , for instance, I do this test
other day.(Always in the morning, aprox. 9,10 or 11 a.m.).

Concerning the differences of the distincts  lenses 1.8 and 1.4, talking
with some technical personal of Olympus, they tell me that there are  6 or
7 differences from the firsts lens to the third editions of lenses on the
internal construction. I have asked abuot this question here on the List
some times, but I never have answer. This is not a secret, there are a lot
of books about Nikon lenses with very good explanations concerning the
number of elements, groups, coated,internal parts,etc, etc.On the little
jewel "Nikon Pocket Book" we can see the contents of every series of every
lens, and the first and last serial number of every series.  I never can
read this information concerning Olympus (Zuiko) lenses. We only know
elements and groups.

Angel Lobo
CUENCA (Spain)

angel.lobo@xxxxxxxxxx