Re: [OM] Query re OM10

Subject: Re: [OM] Query re OM10
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2002 01:04:37 -0500
At 22:36 7/13/02, you wrote:
Pete-
Keep your eyes open- we get a lot of lengthy and highly detailed
explanations here. John Lind comes to mind. He has provided volumes of help
both on and off list regarding technique and composition.
[snip]

Ummmm . . . gee . . .

For basic composition, see my web site:
  http://johnlind.tripod.com/
Go to the section on "Basic Photo Technique."
Save the "Science" techno-babble stuff for later.

Best book I've seen for beginners:
How to Take Great Pictures with Any Camera
by Jerry Hughes

Last I looked they were *under* $10 at Books-A-Million (Amazon has 'em, as does any large bookstore). Small but packed with the best explanations and examples I've seen yet. Not written for a 7 year old though and you would have to help her through it. Best thing I've found is to let young people explore things in their own way and to be there to provide guidance when they have questions. Tom Scales has more direct experience at this with his daughters.

If you're anywhere near a 4-H organization, see if they have a "junior" (under 9 or 10) activity that includes photography. The ones around here are strong. I've been in two photography shows that have "junior" divisions for those in H.S. and younger. Some of the stuff I've seen 8 - 9 year olds do is amazing.

BTW, for adults, my wife came home with this one two days ago:
  _An_Ansel_Adams_Guide:_Basic_Techniques_of_Photography_(Book_1)_
  by John P. Schaefer
  Little, Brown and Company, Boston

Haven't read it completely yet, but looks like a compendium of selected text from Adams' trilogy (The Camera, The Negative, and The Print) with additional text about visualization and composition by Schaefer. Typical of Adams' "paperback" publications (if you can call them that), it's in-depth and detailed, but very concise and published on very high grade paper with a quality cover. There is a "Book 2" also, but haven't found one yet to browse it.

-- John