[OM] Photo CD: Where can I get it?

Subject: [OM] Photo CD: Where can I get it?
From: "Jim L'Hommedieu" <lamadoo@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 03:01:58 -0400
I went to Walgreens and they switched me to "Picture CD".

I went to a camera store and said, "Walgreens never heard of "Photo CD". Can you guys get it for me? The guy said, "Sure" but signed me up for their own, in-house jpgs-on-a-cd product.

I explained to him again that the Kodak product I want is called "Kodak Photo CD", not "Picture CD" and AGAIN he agreed with me but this time he wrote "Picture CD" on the photo envelope. He told me that "Photo CD" is jpgs made from scanning PRINTS! I said, "No it's TIFFs".

When I told him it isn't what I wanted, a seemingly intelligent woman came over and looked it up in a book which (supposedly) told them that "Photo CD" is the same resolution as "Picture CD". It's not. It's several resolutions of each image.

Rather than argue, I just quietly said, "Look, I'm not trying to be a jerk. I'm just trying to bridge the gap between high-quality film and high-quality digital, and "Picture CD" isn't it."

She said, "Ok", so I handed the film over (again). She wrote "Picture CD" on the bag. I said, "I can''t believe you wrote "Picture CD" on the bag!" She said, "But I told you it's the same resolution."

Anyway, enough about my nightmare. I'm ready to wake up. Where can I get this incredibly rare service?

Lama