Re: [OM] broken Stylus

Subject: Re: [OM] broken Stylus
From: "Roger D. Key" <rdk@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 23:05:19 +0200
This sounds a bit like my sister-in-law's iS-100. It zooms fine, but the
shutter usually plays dead when zoomed out to 110mm; if it is backed-off to
around 80mm, the shutter fires OK. Very frustrating, but the camera is not
worth investing a lot of money in.

Roger Key

                      clintonr@xxxxxxxxx

                      ail.net                   To:
olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                      Sent by:                  cc:

                      owner-olympus@Zuik        Subject:  Re: [OM] broken
Stylus
                      o.sls.bc.ca

                      15-07-02 19:47

                      Please respond to

                      olympus

The 105 was the first of it's breed -- the 115, 130, 140 and variants
thereof are based on it.  But there were some things that had to be
worked out....

The major fault of the 105 is that the flexible circuit between the body
and the shutter (that moves in and out as you zoom) eventually unsticks
from the body.  When that happens, the flex gets "pinched" until the
traces break.  It turns on and zooms back and forth just fine -- until
you try and take a photo.  Then the shutter does a dance and it dies
until you close the barrier and open it again.

If you want it fixed, your best bet is to send it directly to Olympus --
NY is backed up right now, so CA is faster -- they "flat rate" their
repair charges.  Their chart says you'll pay about $100 unless there's
major damage (parts hanging off, etc.), which is about what list price
is on the shutter alone.