[OM] potential london trip forthcoming...what to shoot, what to see?

Subject: [OM] potential london trip forthcoming...what to shoot, what to see?
From: siddiq <iddibhai@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 15:56:00 -0700
Well, it looks like i'll be flying across the pond as early as early august, or
at least something like that. at the worst, i'll be there over the wkend, at
best maybe a week or two. what to see, how to
get around, what to shoot, etc. primary photo gear will be OM1n w/ 28/3.5. KISS
principle. i might ask mum to let me borrow her Canon S330[*], giving me a
range of 28, 35-105... but if i borrow the
digicam, i'll have to splurge on a 256mb card or take her laptop along to
download pix. i dont think tkaing the laptop will work, she needs it, and then
i have no idea my cousins in england have
somethingl ike a CDR to save my pix to if i downloaded on their computer. 256mb
gives me roughly 300-350 shots at max resolution, i could shoot lower size but
i'd rather not since anything lower than
native ccd resolution comes up jaggies in curves/diagonals. besides it would be
nice to have something to crop out from. anyway, that's the digital canon bit,
you all dont care, you care about OM! so, i
figure pack minimum (last time i packed all 5 lenses, had to carry that, yuck,
used only the 50, mostly 28), and instead pack loads of film (currently
thinking NPH or NPS or Reala; if it it will be dull,
i can get superia 400 instead for more contrast (a LOT cheaper than the NPx).
If the kew?pew? gardens will be in bloom, i'll take the 50 macro along along
with the bogen 3221/3030, or at the least a
lightweight aluminium samsonsite travel tripod.

I believe my cousin's are in surrey (or purley?) & manchester, and then there's
scotland, but that's a bit out of reach). how far are those places from smack
downtown london? cna i get there and around
by myself? will the tube run to those cities? if no transport to/from there,
anything else in the immediate vicinity to shoot? i'm mostly interested in
street shooting (hence 28, i dont think 50 is wide
enough, fairly tight in city, no?). what kind of weather to expect? that will
dictate film choice. recommendations welcome. print film please. ideally i'd
shoot something like delta or Tmax or trix and
kodachrome/provia, but i dont have my own filmscanning right  now, PhotoCD is
too much resolution (and price) for what i wnat to do (web display), so picture
CD means only print film. Hopefully fuji has
gotten it's act together again...

so, basically: how to get around? what light to expect (film choice)? what to
shoot (skip the royal stuff; riverwalks, street shooting, parks)? as the time
gets closer, i'll tell when exactly i'll be
there, where and how long; maybe meet some OMers.

thanks for any help! at least i dont have to learn another language -- wait,
all those dialects... nevermind ;)

/A/S
--
dum spiro, spero
http://users2.ev1.net/~wesiddiquis/siddiq/

[*] fairly nice for having AE/AF/FE lock, spot or eval metering, pano assist,
slow synch, long shutter w/ noise reduction, histogram display, manual WB! not
too shabby! battery and storage limited,
really.