[OM] Fill-in Flash with Olympus Flashguns

Subject: [OM] Fill-in Flash with Olympus Flashguns
From: "CyberSimian" <CyberSimian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 08:48:33 -0000
I have T32 and T18 flashguns.  I have never tried fill-in flash with them,
as I have always thought that it is too fiddly.  As I understand it, I need
to:

(1)  Set the camera on manual.
(2)  Use an aperture that gives a shutter speed of 1/60 or slower for the
ambient light.
(3)  Use neutral-density filters or slow film if I want a shallow depth of
field.
(4)  Set the flash on manual.
(5)  Choose the manual power setting (T32) that gives a flash exposure
roughly 1 to 2 stops less than the guide number indicates.
(6)  Move towards or away from the subject to fine-tune the amount of flash
illumination relative to ambient.

Yes, far too fiddly!  But for people shots in sunlight, those harsh shadows
really are ugly.  So I have been thinking about the F280 (I have an OM4Ti).
How easy is it to do fill-in flash with the F280+OM4Ti?  Is it simply a
question of setting the flash on "Super FP" and the aperture to a give a
shutter speed faster than 1/60, or is it more complicated than that?  Does
the F280 automatically go into a "fill-in flash" mode if there is sufficient
ambient light to make a correct exposure?  All advice welcome!  Thanks.

-- from Cy in the UK