Re: [OM] Fill-in Flash with Olympus Flashguns

Subject: Re: [OM] Fill-in Flash with Olympus Flashguns
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 07:17:25 -0500
At 10:44 AM 7/16/2002 +0200, you wrote:
At 10:48 16.07.02, Cy wrote:

How easy is it to do fill-in flash with the F280+OM4Ti?  Is it simply a
question of setting the flash on "Super FP" and the aperture to a give a
shutter speed faster than 1/60, or is it more complicated than that?  Does
the F280 automatically go into a "fill-in flash" mode if there is sufficient
ambient light to make a correct exposure?  All advice welcome!  Thanks.

-- from Cy in the UK

The F280 in FP-mode is just another (continuous) light source, just like the sun, car headlights, or whatever. The camera don't know or care where the light is coming from, it makes the same auto exposure it always does, based on the total "amount of light". To really control the fill-in isn't as easy as you would think, but I've tried to describe one method here: http://www.fys.uio.no/~tbryhn/main/F280chart.html

Thomas Bryhn

Hello Cy,
Yes, Thomas contributed richly to a recent long and interesting thread about fill flash and other things. Please do see his chart. However, in a kind of brainless but functional way, I have found that the F280 gives good results in drive-by shooting mode. Just stick it on the 4Ti in FP mode and meter to 1/125 or faster and you'll probably get a result that you'll be pleased with. I've used it primarily with 100 ASA slide film, and no duds yet.

Joel W.