RE: [OM] What's wrong with this lens?

Subject: RE: [OM] What's wrong with this lens?
From: "Robert Gries" <rgg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 16:00:50 -0500
Keith:

The only way to be sure is to test it on film.  The 35 shift can be used
with some success on AUTO mode, so give it a try there.  Otherwise, I'm
not sure what could be broken as it does not have an aperture lever.
Does the reading change when you have the lens stopped down at different
apertures?

Also, if the lens is shifted at all, this will give an incorrect
reading.

Let us know if this works!

Bob

<snip>

I recently came into possession of a Zuiko 35mm/f2.8
Shift lens, and my camera (an OM-4T in this case)
doesn't seem to meter correctly with it.

For comparison, I metered a uniformly-lit surface using
the normal 35/2.8 wide open and got a reading of 1/125
(which seems reasonable).  When I mount the 35 Shift and
meter the same surface with the lens wide open I get a
reading of about 1/4 (which seems quite unreasonable).

It is almost as though the camera thought it had an
automatic lens stopped down 5 stops.  What could cause
this behavior?  Is this some sort of linkage problem?

And, yes, I know this lens has a manual aperture and I
have to do stopped-down metering.  That's why I noted
above that both lenses were wide-opn for the test.

Any good pointers will be appreciated.