Re: [OM] re: potential London trip forthcoming [RE: crime]

Subject: Re: [OM] re: potential London trip forthcoming [RE: crime]
From: "Lee Penzias" <l_penzias@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 00:48:24 -0500
Sam,

I am somewhat well-travelled - and have lived considerable stretches in some of the highest crime cities in America and overseas. But there are some "high crime" cities in America I would rather walk through at 1 a.m. than say; Deeside (N Wales), areas like Bradford, Salford, Manchester - and Lambeth in SE London, at a similar hour or later.

I am sure there are many New Yorkers who haven't ever seen a street assault in their whole life, as there are I am sure in LA, Detroit, St. Louis or Houston - just as there are in London. But SE London is really getting a name for itself in this regard - and street crime is getting up there.

But I would give anyone similar advice visiting any major city in the world. The only reason I brought it up here is that the illusion of "very low crime in europe - especially the U.K." still persists these days. But burglary and car theft is higher today in N Wales where I lived for many years during the 1970s and 1980s - than it is in many "high crime" areas here in the United States.

Best advice in all cases is: do not get taken by surprize - and generally speaking, that is often sufficient.

Cheers,
Lee