[OM] Doing your homework for you...

Subject: [OM] Doing your homework for you...
From: "Bill Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 09:31:31 -0500
I really didn't feel I had anything to add to this discussion, until
Winsor's post...

First, we need to know the nature of your photo class. Is it intended for
mainly young people who wish to embark on a career in photography? Is it an
adult education class for aspiring photo hobbiests? Is it in a university
school of art? The answer really depends on the answer to this question.

If it is in an art school, good luck, go with the Nikon outfit, as you need
to best play to the instructor's prejudice. The potential commercial
usefulness is of no concern, and one good 35 system will be as good as
another, choose on personal feelings.

If in an photo hobbiest realm, there is more freedom. A Yashikamat might be
good there, as would be nikon/canon/olympus, or the always popular K1000.
There is room here for digital.

If, however, this is a class for people intending a career in photography,
Winsor has hit on something. In today's world digital is an essential tool.
If you intend a career as a photojournalist, you will probably work in
digital exclusively. In other areas, for the initial capture, it will be a
part of your work. In commercial and industrial, it will be some, in
weddings and portrait, quite a bit, in architectural, almost none. But in
all cases, the result will most likely find itself in photoshop sooner or
later.

Here's my idea: I'm uncomfortable with the throwaway nature of digital
cameras, especially for students. I would suggest a scanner in the 400USD
range (the student should alreay have a computer and printer), and spend the
rest on an inexpensive MF OM/Nikon/Canon, brand to taste. (The sad truth is
that there are more inexpensive lenses out there for Canon/Nikon) A K1000
and several lenses would be an acceptable choice.

In this way, they have both a durable, long useful way to take photographs,
and the means to become familiar with digital processing, essential in
today's marketplace.

If your instructor is a purist, ignore all advice.

Bill Pearce