[OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #3493

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #3493
From: bsandyman@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 16:33:40 +0000
I have to disagree strongly here.

When you got a new camera it was at the height of the
market for the manual camera. The design was very good
and has proven itself to be from that time until now.

New cameras have succumbed to the inclusion of
electronics which add dubious value. A new camera has
very little to offer that an 70's era camera does not,
when it comes down to making quality photographs.

New cameras have also made it more difficult to use in
manual mode. Older camers where designed to be used this
way. At some point a photography student will want
manual mode. He might as well have a camera that is easy
to use that way.

The only reason to get a new camera is because of a
feature you know your going to need that older cameras
do not have. (Digital or auto zoom perhaps.)

I think making someone learn to use an abacus before
teaching them to use a computer is a good idea. If they
are just going to read e-mail, then it doesn't matter.
If they want to learn how to program, then whip out the
abacus. The same is true for photography.

I have read that fighter pilots must first learn how to
hang glide before they can get into a jet.