Re: [OM] OT trivia question about digital

Subject: Re: [OM] OT trivia question about digital
From: "Mike Cormier" <ronaldcormier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 14:16:33 -0400
You might want to look into a company called Foveon. They developed a chip called the X3 which differs from CCD chips in that it uses CMOS technology and 3 color sensors imbedded at differing depths in the silicone at each pixel location, effectively trippling the color rendition and resolution as compared to a similarly sized CCD which uses a mosaic pattern much like the shutter curtain of an OM-2. Additionally, these chips can be easily and CHEAPLY manufactured in almost ANY size, including MF 6x6, etc. More cameras should be coming out with this technology soon, which is to say once the major manufacturers run out of their huge and expensive stockpiles of CCD chips which will become obsolete/useless once the X3 takes hold.

Hope this helps...