RE: [OM] OT trivia question about digital

Subject: RE: [OM] OT trivia question about digital
From: "om@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <om@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 17:02:11 -0400
Yes, there are several vendors making digital backs for either Medium
Format or Large Format cameras.

Large Format digital backs are all scanning backs and only suited for
non-moving subjects.  They are also VERY expensive.

There are a lot of options for MF backs, depending on your camera.
Products include scanning, single-shot, and multi-shot (1/color) backs.
Makers include Leaf, Kodak, Phase One, and MegaVision.   But you're again
talking big bucks and reduced flexibility.  You typically need to tether a
computer to location shooting outfits often to download the huge files they
generate.

Mamiya markets the Leaf C-MOST back for their 645 that you can swap out in
the place of a normal film back on the 645AFD.  Comments at
http://www.photo.net/mamiya/645AfdShell.  $10,000.  Sensor size only 36x24!

If you want cooled images for better shadow detail, Leaf has a product for
$20-25,000 that captures 2k x 3k images.  I can't find out how big the
sensor is, but it's a bet it's not full frame.

Check out this link for backs that fit Mamiya cameras:
http://www.mamiya.co.uk/cameras/digital/digital.htm#anchor502579

Are you SURE you were interested in MF and LF digital?  :-o

Skip