RE: [OM] urban legends #2435 & #3528

Subject: RE: [OM] urban legends #2435 & #3528
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 18:56:28 -0700
That is how it works.  One can see darkening in the VF when shifted.

Ref:
http://www.star.ucl.ac.uk/~rwesson/eSIF/om-sif/lensgroup/35mmf28s.htm

And the manual at bottom of page.

Thanks for the reference. After reading it, it does not make sense to me.

1.  The through the lens metering should compensate for any darkening
at the edge of the field after it is shifted.

2.  The directions say to hold the camera with the back parallel to
subject and take the meter reading, then shift and release the
shutter.  So you are shifting the part of the subject metered out of
the frame.  Puzzling instructions.  I wonder whether the meter design
is somehow dependent on the angle of the light coming through the
lens so that shifting the lens causes it to misread somehow.

I found this in an old Modern Camera review:

"Unusual in a perspective correcting lens in the Zuiko's
semi-automatic diaphragm. Set the diaphragm as desired; when the lens
mount button is pushed in you're at working aperture. Push again and
let it pop out and your wide open for checking focus. This feature is
particularly valuable on an automatic body like the OM-2 or OM-10,
which will set itself to the correct-exposure shutter speed as you
stop down."  Could this feature, misunderstood, be causing a meter
problem? I had not heard this discussed and do not have one of these
lenses of my own. Yet.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California