Re: [OM] are SC lenses to blame?

Subject: Re: [OM] are SC lenses to blame?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2002 00:08:48 -0500
At 23:23 7/19/02, you wrote:
I would guess that your meter is fine. It may be that the SC lenses are
actually transmitting less light than the MC lenses. One of the benefits of
MC vs SC is supposedly better light transmission. As an example I have a
Soligor 200 f/2.8 that is really much closer to f/3.5 or so.

A better test would be to meter through the camera and shoot some slides
with the lenses to make comparisons. I suspect the slides will be similarly
exposed.

Jim Couch

The difference between SC and MC would not cause entire stops of difference. To slow by an entire stop requires a 500ss in light transmission! It's difficult for me to imagine a 1/6 stop difference, and that's if the lens formulation is unchange. Lens formulations compensate for losses in light transmission. Although the theoretical absolute aperture diameter is focal length divided by the aperture f-number, in practical lens design, absolute aperture diameters are adjusted to an "effective" diameter to produce the required f-number.

Regarding aftermarket lenses, there was (and to some extent continues to be) a "speed war" among them. Some aftermarket lens makers stretched the truth about their lens speeds to claim as little as a silly 1/10th f-number faster speed. All in the name of marketing and being able to claim it was "faster" than another manufacturer's lens. 1/10th of an f-number makes so little difference in exposure it's ridiculous, but nevertheless the bragging rights that come with having an ever so slightly faster lens were apparently enough to make a difference in sales, or so it was perceived. The difference between f/1.7 and f/1.8 is about 1/6 stop at most. So is the difference between f/1.5 and f/1.4, and it gets less as the lenses get slower. f/3.5 -> f/4 -> f/4.5 are only 1/3 stop increments.

BTW, you may see some references in places to "t-stops." These are used almost exclusively on cinema and scientific application lenses where extreme accuracy is required. Even a very slight difference in exposure between cinema camera lenses is unacceptable when shooting a motion picture using several cameras simultaneously, each with a different lens, and the result must be knitted together during editing. The "t" indicates "transmission." It is the f-stop of actual light transmission as measured for that lens in a laboratory.

-- John