Re: [OM] Fill-in Flash with Olympus Flashguns

Subject: Re: [OM] Fill-in Flash with Olympus Flashguns
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2002 11:07:30 -0700
Thanks to everyone who contributed to this discussion.  I now understand
better what the F280 offers compared to the T32 (at least, I think I do!).
Here is my summary:

(1)  The F280 contains no special intelligence for handling fill-in flash.

(2)  When set to "Super FP" mode, the F280 acts as a manual flash, and
discharges at maximum power.  Therefore, to get exactly the amount of
fill-in that you want, you need to use the same procedures as you would for
any manual flash gun.  The only difference is that the F280 allows you to
use fast shutter speeds.

(3)  Despite point (2) above, user experience is that using the OM4Ti on
"auto" for typical fill-in subjects photographed from typical distances at
typical levels of ambient illumination, the end result is usually OK.  It
might not give the optimum amount of fill-in, but usually it gives a result
that is better than would be obtained with no fill-in.

As someone who likes precision, I find these conclusions rather
disappointing, and have decided to defer a possible purchase of an F280
(possibly indefinitely).

-- from Cy in the UK

Except that you left out the effect of the auto exposure system. If
you are close enough to cause overexposure with your dim F280 light
bulb the shutter should close a bit sooner darkening the background.

Nothing should be so difficult to use. I keep hoping for a flash of
insight(sorry!) which will make it easier.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California

?