AW: [OM] OT; landscape shots - Velvia

Subject: AW: [OM] OT; landscape shots - Velvia
From: jochen.schiffler@xxxxxxxxxxx (Jochen Schiffler)
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2002 19:42:35 +0200
>I've never tried velvia, but I hope this isn't what it produces. If it is,
>guess I'll stick with Kodachrome 64.

It's not that bad.
Velvia gives well saturated colors and is definitely not first choice if
complete 'naturalness' is required. Skin colors look reddish (so it's not
recommended for portaits) and not everyone likes Velvia but the images on
the website are not the result of just Velvia.

This shot is done with velvia. I adjusted contrast and sharpness slightly
but not the color. Unfortunately I found no example with red in it.
http://www.1stlight.de/schiffler/foto/natur/pages/bl0.000000Cten.htm

Velvia is one of the expensive emulsions and the ISO 40 (rather than 50)
doesn't make it a very good allrounder. If I'd go on a trip expecting some
nice landscapes I'd definitely buy a couple of rolls.

I suggest you shoot a test roll and decide if you like it or not.

Jochen