[OM] Repair or Replace? Samyang 18~28 Zoom

Subject: [OM] Repair or Replace? Samyang 18~28 Zoom
From: "Curtis P. Hedman" <Curtis.P.Hedman-1@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2002 15:51:18 -0500
I've had a Samyang 18~28mm Zoom for about a year that I bought used... up until yesterday, I was pretty pleased with it - seemed well made, and I was satisfied with the images it collected (I've yet to try a super-wide prime, so my basis for this quality assessment is pretty lame). Anyway, yesterday I wanted to take some interior shots of a home, and so I mounted it on my 4T and headed off... Shot a roll before I noticed two things - first, the aperture ring no longer would turn all the way to f/4 (maximum aperture); second, after dismounting, it became obvious that the lens no longer stopped down! Incidentally all the pictures came out fine - thanx to otf metering!

So the question is this - is this likely to be an expensive repair? There is a pretty good repair outfit nearby (Custom Camera in Minneapolis, MN) that I would take it to, if that is the way to go; however, I note that I can buy a brand new one from Cameta for about $140, via their BIN on e*ay. To complicate matters (of repair) I epoxied the fourth screw head on the mount, to keep from slicing o the 4T's "Beeper" button - don't know how ugly it will be to remove that screw, which I suppose is essential to repairing what ever linkage or spring that has let go.

Any advice will be appreciated, whether sage or sarcastic! For that matter, if someone has one of these lenses that they might want to part with for a reasonable sum, let me know off list.

Curt