[OM] loveit/hate it

Subject: [OM] loveit/hate it
From: "Bill Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2002 16:01:06 -0500
There's something going on here! That fellow's landscapes have spent some
time in photoshop. Whatever you may think of (well)(over)saturated [select
one] landscapes, there looks to me like there has been a really lot of not
very subtle use of the unsharp mask.
    [disclaimer: how anyone can make a serious judgement on a monitor is
beyond me]
Not to repeat myself, but different films are tools, to be used as
appropriate to one's vision. There is no one perfect film for all uses. I've
used Velvia to good result for Colorado landscapes, and a friend has used
what he calls Velveeta, the cheesy film, for some remarkable photos of
flowers on a black background, a la Mapplethorpe.

The over use of the unsharp mask, however, is inexcuxable.

Bill Pearce
ps. Don't remember which one, but a photo mag ran a column this month
concerning the judging of contests via the monitor. They're against it.