[OM] TTL flash with OM-4(T)

Subject: [OM] TTL flash with OM-4(T)
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2002 20:25:55 -0700
Here's a question for the wonderful collective knowledge of the group.

I picked up a TTL Auto Shoe Cord T 0.6 so I could do TTL flash with OM-PC bodies (No immediate need, I have OM-4 bodies and Shoe 4s and TTL cord adapters for OM-2n bodies, just Zuikoholism at work.) To check out the cord quickly, I connected it to the closest appropriate camera at hand, an OM-4 with the T(i) circuit modification and a T32. It didn't work properly at first. Checking, I found the hot shoe contacts needed cleaning, which fixed all but one problem.

This led me to check out flash operation with several cameras. I found that TTL flash worked properly with most of my bodies, except.: I have two OM-4 bodies, both with the 4Ti circuit replacement, as determined by the tests shown in Clint's contribution on the subject on Mark's site <http://olympus.dementia.org/Hardware/OM-4_circuits.html> . On both of these cameras, everything works except the flash ready light does not flicker to confirm successful TTL flash operation. The light on the flash flickers, but not the one in the viewfinder; it simply goes dark until the flash is fully charged. This is true of both bodies, via hot shoe or TTL cord, with a flash that properly operates the viewfinder flash ready light on an OM-2n, OM-PCs and an OM-4Ti. The OM-4 manual 'B' says this should work, but I don't have an OM-4 with the original circuit to check Do I happen to have two 'Mod 6' circuit cameras with the same failure, or is this just the way the new circuit works with the old LED setup (maybe not enough current to activate the old LED?) or is it a common error in the upgrade or ..........?

Any help appreciated,

Moose