Re: [OM] Saturation and visualization

Subject: Re: [OM] Saturation and visualization
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2002 21:58:33 -0600
At 03:50 PM 7/21/2002 -0700, Marten Beels wrote:

[snip]

>How well an image captures a visual scene accurately and how
>well it captures the *impression* or *mood* of the
>scene are two different things.

Yep.  I gotta admit, I have very little interest in capturing an "accurate"
image, in any reasonably objective sense of the word.  I want the picture to
floor others the way the actual scene floored me.  If Photoshop helps me "kick
it up a notch" (to use an 'Emeril-ism'), then that's what I'll do.

I used a whack of Provia for shooting pictures around Provence in southeast
France last spring.  While it captured the hot, hazy, "burned-out" look that
much of the landscape already had by early May, it did a very poor job of
capturing how the hill village of Rousillon looked to me, with its fabulous
palette of ochres.  Photoshop saved the images, as far as I was concerned --
otherwise, I would have been stuck with *under*-saturated images of Rousillon.

That doesn't mean there's no place for accurate images, but they're not really
the kind I'm trying to capture most of the time.

More power to Velvia -- and Provia!  And a nod of the head to Kodachrome, the
timely and convenient processing of which is rapidly going the way of all
flesh...

Garth